Avera Race Against Cancer in Sioux Falls
May 13, 2023
Join us in Sioux Falls on Saturday, May, 13, 2023, for the Avera Race Against Cancer. Events begin at 7:30 AM. Your participation generously supports patients receiving services and support at the Avera Cancer Institute in Sioux Falls.
SIGN UP DONATE
Want to Run, Walk, Donate, Support?
It’s your choice how you want to participate. You can join a team, and fundraise – and we also have a virtual race option.
Your options include:
- 1.5-mile family walk
- 3-mile walk
- Official chip-timed 5K or 10K run
- Sideline supporter
Sioux Falls Race Details and Logistics
Avera Race starts and finishes at the Avera McKennan Fitness Center at 3400 S. Southeastern Ave., Sioux Falls, SD 57103.
We offer a 1.5-mile family walk, 3-mile walk, or an official, chip-timed 5K and 10K. You can also come to the race and cheer everyone on as a sideline supporter — or race at your own time and pace with our virtual option.
There are no time limits on the race routes,; however, streets will be reopened at 10 AM. Lead and tail bikers will be on the run routes to make sure that everyone finishes safely.
The Avera Race Against Cancer has something for everyone – all ages and all fitness levels. View the course maps below.
Avera Race Teams are an excellent way for individuals and businesses to participate in the state's largest race raising funds for cancer patients and research. It’s a great chance to foster a tradition, create memories, and boost employee morale and team-building skills — all while showing your community YOU care!
- Go to our registration site. Click “Register” and then “Create a team." Follow the steps on-screen.
- If you create a new team, you will be the team captain.
- Recruit team members. (NOTE: Ten registered participants are required to qualify as a team. If your team does not have 10 registered participants by Monday, April 24, the team will be registered as individuals).
- Challenge team members to go the next step and create their own online fundraising page with their registration.
- Be creative with your team: design shirts, make signs and have fun!
- Team registration is due by Sunday, April 23 at 5 PM.
- There will be specific team packet pick-up times. See Packet Pick-Ups for more information.
All registered participants are required to pick up their packets on the dates below based upon their registration type. Team and individual packet pick-ups will take place at the Avera McKennan Fitness Center, 3400 S. Southeastern Ave., Sioux Falls, SD 57103, during the times listed below:
Team Packet Pick-Up
- Thursday, April 27, 5 – 7 PM
- Friday, April 28, 6:30 AM – 6:30 PM
- Saturday, April 29, 8 AM – 5 PM
- Sunday, April 30, 10:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- Monday, May 1, 7 AM – 7 PM
Individual Packet Pick-Up
- Thursday, May 4, 3:30 – 6:30 PM
- Friday, May 5, 7 AM – 6:15 PM
Important Packet Pickup Notes:
- Any late team packets will be available during individual packet pick-up.
- Due to large volumes, packets will not be mailed out or delivered.
- If you are unable to attend one of the packet pick-up times, please make other arrangements. We will allow family or friends to pick up your packet for you.
- Packets not picked up before Friday, May 17 will be donated to the Avera Cancer Institute
What’s in Your Race Packet
- We have increased the number of shuttle buses for our participants’ convenience.
- Complimentary shuttle buses run from the parking lots at Embrace Church (57th Street Campus) and Sioux Falls Christian School.
- Buses run in 15-minute increments from 6AM - 10AM (The last pre-race shuttle will leave at 7:15 AM.)
- The closest drop-off/pick-up to the race start is located at Shalom Christian Reformed Church.
- Plan to arrive 30 to 60 minutes early to allow adequate time.
- Participant parking is available in surrounding residential areas.
NOTE: Please do not park in the Avera McKennan Fitness Center parking lot. When parking in residential and business areas, be aware of city parking laws. Be courteous to our neighbors and avoid blocking driveways.
Race Day Schedule – Saturday, May 13
- 6 AM – Shuttle buses begin
- 7 AM – Avera Race Expo and Survivor Pavilion opens
- 7:15 AM – Survivor group photo
- 7:40 AM – Song tribute to all survivors
- 7:45 AM – Warm-up with Jackie
- 8 AM - Racing begins
- 10K race start
- Breakfast buffet opens
- 8:15 AM - 5K race start
- 8:20 AM - 1.5 and 3-mile walk start
- Both runs will be staggered and chip-timed.
- Race results will be posted online after the race at AveraRace.org.
Bring Your Family and Friends
Everyone can participate in the Avera Race Against Cancer. The aerobic warm-up, fun walks, expo area and cool-down breakfast are all designed for family fun. Plus, all the run and walk participants love having a cheering section!
More Ways to Get Involved
How do I register myself and others for the Avera Race Against Cancer?
- Online: Register yourself with individual registration or create a team on our registration site. Online individual registration is open until Friday, May 12, at 5 PM. Online team registration is open until [Date/Time].
- Offline: You can download the offline registration flyer and submit to the Avera Foundation office. We will take care of registering you. All paper registrations must be received by [Date].
Send your completed registeration to:
3900 W. Avera Drive
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
- Race Day Registration: We encourage pre-registration; however, you can walk up on race day. If registered before 7:30 AM, 5K and 10K participants will be chip-timed.
The registration fee on race day is $45 for adults and $20 for youth (children 16 and under) for both walkers and runners. Only registered participants receive an official Avera Race shirt and the giveaway
Can I bring a stroller or my pet?
We discourage strollers and wagons along the race run routes. However, we do allow them on the walk routes. Please line up near the back of start line for safety purposes.
With the exception of service and emotional support animals, no pets are allowed.
Would the Avera Race be cancelled due to weather, and if so, could I receive a refund? Or what if I can no longer attend?
The Avera Race takes place rain or shine. We do reserve the right to cancel in extreme circumstances. In that event, there will be no refunds and your registration fee will be used as a donation to benefit cancer patients and families served at Avera Cancer Institute.
The Avera Race is unable to process refunds for registrations. If you are unable to participate, you may transfer your registration to another individual, change your registration type to a Sideline Supporter so that you still receive an official Avera Race packet or ask that your registration be converted to a donation. Should you wish to update your registration based on any of these options, please reach out using the Contact Us form.
What if I’m injured on the route?
Medical professionals and volunteers will be available to assist in the event of an injury on the route. There will also be a first-aid station near the main stage staffed by a paramedic and an on-call ambulance.
Am I able to get my yearly screening mammogram at the Avera Race?
Digital screening mammograms will be available from 6-11 AM in the Avera Digital Mobile Mammography truck at the race. Breast health materials, scheduling information and tours will also be available. Please call 605-322-PINK (7465) to schedule your Avera Race day mammogram or make an appointment at an Avera Breast Center location near you.
Will there be special accommodations for wheelchairs?
The Avera Race is ADA - accessible. Please call 605-322-5303 for specific accommodations. Shuttle buses are also wheelchair - accessible.
Are there water stops along the route?
Water stations are located on the 5K and 10K routes, at the finish line and at the food tent near the main stage. Please refer to the race route flyer for more information.